A US BOXER ASKS PRESIDENT PUTIN FOR A RUSSIAN CITIZENSHIP


Former world boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. asked Putin for a Russian passport to visit his fans because "I love it when people love me"



American former world boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. has asked Russian President Vladimir Putin for 
Russian citizenship over a cup of tea.

The odd exchange happened during Jones's visit to Crimea, which Russia annexed last year and where the 46-year-old boxer and rapper will take part in a show this weekend.

Jones' promoter told the R-Sport news agency two years ago that the boxer wanted a Russian passport.

During the meeting, which was attended by an interpreter, Jones asked Putin how the Russian president got into combat sport.

"I was fourteen. I liked fighting," said Putin with a wry look. "I started learning our Russian national fight, sambo (abbreviation for defence without weapon), then I moved to judo."

He added that the sport "helps to develop one's character".

The conversation then moved on to the subject of Jones' citizenship.
"I want to ask you about maybe having a passport to go back and forth so that I can do business," said Roy Jones Jr.


He added without a hint of irony: "because all the people here seem to love Roy Jones Jr and I love it when people love me."

Putin replied: "Your name is so famous for our sport lovers and lovers of box in Russia, and if you are to spend a significant part of your life in Russia doing your business, then I surely will be glad to satisfy your request about receiving Russian passport and Russian citizenship.

I believe that the lovers of boxing would be very happy about that."

The Russian president had previously given Russian citizenship to French actor Gerard Depardieu.
Wednesday's bizarre meeting between Putin and Jones comes after the Russian president was seen venturing out in a mini-sub off the coast of Sevastopol, Crimea, looking more like a Bond villain than an ex-KGB officer.

Comments

Popular Posts